Wednesday, 14 January 2015

I’m Back! Listen to Reading Ideas..Report Writing

Soo..I’ve been told by a few people now that my blog has been slacking. (Thanks Kim S and Laura R for commenting on my lack of blogging haha)

I thought I’d take a break over winter and now that winter break is over, I haven’t really felt in the sharing mood. I’ve been changing a few routines, structures, and ideas in my room as of late and feeling a little scrambled. I took some pictures this week, which I haven’t done in forever and I am ready to share some new stuff!

I think I left off my last post (almost a month ago ….yikes) with sharing some report writing. Well here are the finished reports! We turned them into little mini non fiction books and the kids have been keeping them in their book bins and reading them during Read to Self.

IMG_2789

We wrote introduction sentences to begin our reports. Again, this was created during shared writing.

IMG_2790

Each mini book has 6 pages of facts. They choose 2 facts from each category to record.

IMG_2791

Our next step in report writing is to choose a new topic and do some research and guided writing with a partner or small group.

Next up is Listen to Reading. For the past 4 years, I have been using individual MP3 players for the kiddos. I used to have 3 kids doing L to R at the same time and then 1 MP3 player died. I then had 2 kids during each round and now BOTH MP3 players have kicked the bucket!! You would plug in your headphones and all you could hear is background music, no words. You had to carefully turn the plug to a perfect spot to hear anything and if it bumped a bit, it would stop. UGH. TOO hard for 6 year olds to use. To be fair, they were generic ones, $20 bucks and I used them for 4 years. I guess I got my money worth.

So I debated getting more generic ones and continuing to spend money on those or switch to something else.

I decided to use my class ipad and buy a headphone splitter so 2 kids can listen!
Here is the headphone splitter ($25) from Future Shop. You can plug in up to 5 headphones.
IMG_2784

I created a playlist in itunes of all my Listen to Reading books. (imported all my book CD`s into itunes)

I plugged in my ipad and synced it up. I numbered all the stories in the playlist to match the numbers I already had on the books. So my kids can just find a number in the playlist and match it up to the correct book.

IMG_2785

2 kids will listen at the same time and sit together with the book and flip the pages. Kind of like Read to Someone. So now Listen to Reading has turned into a partner activity!

IMG_2786

I think introducing how to use this method will also be a ton easier than the MP3 players. With the old ones I had to make instruction cards and model and demonstrate to 2 kids at a time on how to use them. Took forever.
If you are struggling with resources and quality items for Listen to Reading, try an ipad!

I hope to be back blogging and sharing more frequently. My goal is to share more ideas, tips and make it yourself projects and very FEW products or things to sell and buy.  I am seeing waaayyy to many blogs lately that are just becoming stores and things to buy. :(


5 comments:

  1. Oh, I was so excited to see your blog post this a.m. I have missed it (Laura and Kim were right). However I don't blame you for taking a little break. Thanks. Jennifer F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading teachers' blogs and websites since my first year of teaching almost a decade ago. Especially in my early years, they were a real life-saver for me. I was so thrilled with the community of educators who were willing to share their knowledge and elevate the profession. Where I'm teaching now, we don't have coaches, so blogs like yours are like my virtual coaches. I love that I can steer newbies your way as well.

    I always appreciate that your posts are full of information and ideas. That's how I found you and that's what keeps me coming back. My rule of thumb is that, when a blog tries to sell me something 3 posts in a row, I accept that it's evolving into an advertising vehicle -- and, truly, I understand why -- but I drop it from my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words Lee! I was feeling like my little ole blog just didn't stack up with all the big seller ones. It is nice to know that other people are feeling the same way!

      Delete
  3. I do appreciate seeing your blog updates. There are always practical little nuggets to carry away. I know I don't take enough time to tell people that their stuff is great. I like how you number your stories in itunes and then match it up on the book. Another great tip!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover