Monday, 6 October 2014

Data Collection

I feel like I haven’t written in forever!

October is going to fly by! We have Tri-Conferences coming up in 2 weeks, a few PD days off, Halloween and it’s over!

My school is big on Data and Data Collection and we are always trying out new ideas and methods for tracking it and making it useable.

Last year, my professional growth for the year centered around tracking data better as a teacher but also having my students track their own data.

I have shared how I have refined my own data collection practices (Evernote, Running Record Apps, etc) but I haven’t really shared my students are tracking data.

I thought it was important for my students to know how they were doing in grade one in order to become more accountable for their own learning and growth. 

They needed to personally set small, attainable goals to work towards.
In comes the Data Binder. Last year it was the “Data Folder” but that was a gigantic mistake. Every day, papers were falling out, papers were being crunched, things were ripping. UGH.

So I thought I would try a binder this year. And while this has also resulted in some tears and frustration (weak little hands CANNOT open the rings of the binder…oy), it has been TONS better.

Every year, I change new things, take stuff out, revamp it etc.

So here`s to the 2014 Version of the Data Binder!

IMG_2466IMG_2469

It is a skinny binder and each student has their own.

They are tracking their own data in 6 areas:

Reading, Writing, Spelling, Sight Words, Math Facts and Behaviour

IMG_2467

Each area has a tab and a Parent Info page at the front of each section. Students share their data with their parents at tri-conferences and I thought an info page would be helpful to show parents how to read the data.

IMG_2536

Behind each Parent Info page, is a yellow chart where students track their data for that area. Some data is tracked monthly, others are tracked 4x a year.

This is an example of our reading chart. Students colour in their reading level for September. 

IMG_2537

Here is another example of the Math Fact chart, where a student coloured in how many they got on their September Math Fact Assessment.

IMG_2538

Behind each chart in the sections are goal pages. Students create personal attainable goals for each area after each assessment.

For example, a child who is reading a Level A book, might pick a goal of reading a level C book independently by December. The goals are created by the students.

Here is an example of a goal page. When a student meets their goals, they are allowed to pick a sticker for their goal page. Even though students might not be working at grade level, they are still all able to achieve the goals set by themselves and see growth and success.

data

I have also added some more ideas in tracking Data whole class. So while each child has their own Data Binder, we started this year tracking class data on the wall. I tracked class data for reading levels last year but didn`t really get to share with the students and get their input as to what they noticed from the Data.

Here is our class data wall.

IMG_2535

We are tracking class data in Reading, Writing and Math Facts. Each child is a yellow dot. The dots have their class number on it. Adding `faces`` to the data. As of now, the kids know their own number and no one elses really. If it becomes an issue then I might leave the numbers off. In older grades, it might be more of an issue with kids seeing where others are on the target. Something to ponder.

Not sure if I like the targets either. I find them a bit busy and it`s hard to see which target the yellow circles are in. Oh Well…..another thing to change for next year!

Each target has numbers 1, 2, 3, 4. These correspond with our report card numbers. Students were given a number for each after beginning assessments.

IMG_2534

Here is a close up of one of the targets. As a class, we talked about what we noticed in the data. Where do you see the most yellow circles? The least? What does this tell us? What should our goals be for December?

IMG_2528

So how do you track data with your class?

I also have a few things I have yet to iron out from last year to this one and maybe you can help?

*How do you find the time to chart the data and create individual goals with each child?! AHHH! I find it is still taking forever and they cannot do any part of it whole group.
*How many pieces of data do you collect? I am choosing 6 areas. Maybe that’s too many?
* If you are doing parts of it whole group…how?!? I have to assess whole group…and then pull each kid over individually to chart and set goals.

Weigh in your thoughts and ideas!!!

Yikes! If you made it this far…thank you!

5 comments:

  1. OMG. You are truly am-AH-zing Renee! Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find your blog so informative! Thanks for sharing! Our school using data binders, also. I have changed from first grade to second grade math, so my data binders have changed/are changing this year. We are recording/setting weekly points/goals for Dojo in our data binders. We also do this for our Accelerated Reader points. I will be printing off progress reports from their Moby Max exercises, showing what facts they have master/not mastered. I also included a checklist of all the second grade math standards. Students check their progress throughout the unit, checking off the standards they have mastered. By the final assessment, I had a cover sheet for the test, indicating what standards the questions covered. This allowed students to see their mastery (or non-mastery) of a standard. Then they knew exactly what activities to go to during math stations, as each station was labeled to match a standard. The data binders will continue being used as they are aware of which standards they haven't checked off, being able to identify the activities they need to choose and targeted goals for mastery. They will hopefully know what they know and what they don't know. We will hopefully squeeze in some SMART goals during the next three quarters. Not happened yet. It is time consuming, though! I never did it well in first. I'm hoping second graders will move along more quickly with this. I am so hoping the time invested will impact my students' learning. Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What great ideas! I like how students need to take accountability for heir learning and see what skill they need to work on to know what activitites to go to. We started looking at smart goals as well, but those are definitely tricky for grade ones to understand.

      Delete
  3. Wow, your binders look great! What a great idea. I'm hoping to do some data folders next year when I go back. I had a question about your math facts goal/graph. Do you focus on 10 specific facts each month? Why does the graph only go up to 10? Thanks! Hope you are having a great year! :)

    Amanda
    First Grade Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The graph only goes to 10 because I only give 10 questions on each assessment. September we were looking at +0 facts, October +1 facts etc...

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover