Friday, 31 January 2014

Five for Friday

Stopping by to share some highlights from our week! Linking up with Doodle Bugs.
 

1. Book Doctor

I FINALLY cleaned out the Book Doctor bin. I took all the books home from the bin over Winter Break and they sat at home. I then carried them around in my car for a few weeks and then I finally fixed them all! Yahoo! This is just half of the pile of the books I finished. My kids are actually pretty great with handling the books. They get handled tons though and the pages in the scholastic ones seem to fall out soo easily!
photo 1 (2)photo 2 (2)

2. Skip Counting by 10’s

We worked in some extra practice on skip counting by 10’s.

photo 1photo 4 (2)

3. Math Writing

Students worked on subtraction pictures in their math notebook job this week. This is a Math Writing choice in Math Daily 5. Math notebook idea comes from Kelly @ Tales from a Travelling Teacher.

photo 3

4. Math by Myself and Math with Someone

More math activities during Math Daily 5. Kids worked on subtracting in Bear Drop and tried out our new subtraction BUMP game!

photo 4photo 5 - Copy

5. Read Read Read!

We kicked off I love to Read month with an assembly on Thursday. Everyone brought reading materials to the assembly and the whole school read together for 10 minutes! It was so neat to look around and see everyone cozied up with a book. Teachers too! I looked down my row of kids and could see them so focused in their books and whisper reading to themselves. Made me proud. Here is another cute pic of my kids cozy-ing up with a book in the reading corner!

photo 2


Have a great weekend! Stay Warm!

9 comments:

  1. I used to feel guilty about letting my students have read to self time as a class because there is always SO much to do. #firstyearteacherproblems But, after several years in the classroom, I make time for reading. I even sit down and read occasionally while the class is in their read to self mode. I LOVE it! It is so important for our kiddos to be reading as much as possible!

    -Sarah
    A Rocky Top Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Actually reading is the best thing they could be doing! Not worksheets or anything else. I love my daily 5 time!

      Delete
  2. Hi Renee,
    Is your bear drop game available in your Teachers Notebook store? I am working on subtraction with my grade ones right now (in BC) and my kids would love doing this activity.
    Linda lott@telus.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a book hospital too, and it is overflowing with books too! lol. I should probably get around to fixing those soon toon... hehe. Happy Weekend!

    Amanda
    First Grade Garden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Renee! I found your blog on the linky! I've heard of the Daily 5 for reading, but I'm not familiar with it for math. I'll have to look into that! I love that your entire school got together to read. I bet that was a cool sight to see!

    Sarah Beth
    Miss White's Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!

      Thanks for stopping by! I'm still tweaking daily 5 math even after 5 years!

      Delete
  5. Hi Renee!!!!!! Thanks so much for the shout out! So cool to see my stuff in your notebooks!! Love how much you're blogging...very inspiring. Keep it up! Love your stuff!

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I literally use your math notebook ideas everything time. Super easy to explain and for the kids to do independently. Love.

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover