Sunday, 11 August 2013

Running Records and the Ipad

I’ve shared a few tools that I am going to try this year to help with assessment on the Ipad.

The next one deals with Running Records. We use the Fountas and Pinnell kit to give running records but it ends with binders full of paper. I try to give a running record to each kid monthly (try…) and my binders are full by the end of the year.
I found this app called Record of Reading which allows teachers to take Running Records for any book or passage.

rr

It allows you to record errors and self corrections and then calculates the accuracy rate and the level of text for the student, indicating whether or not the book is at a difficult, instructional or independent level. It also lets you record the students while they are reading and attaches it to the running record. This documentation can be looked back by you to give you a better understanding of what the student is doing well and needs to work on. It would also prove to be a great piece of documentation to share at conferences with parents. They can listen to their child read a piece and you can go over what errors they are making and what the next steps are.

photo 5 (4)

This is what the app looks like when you open it. It has a blank space on the bottom to record what the student is reading. The grey space with the hand is a screen that you can rest your hand on as you write and slide down as you go. It recommends using a stylus when recording. It also lets you add multiple blank pages. You can add in the f & P level or RR #. When the RR is finished, you can mark in the errors and self corrections and analyze the miscues. (meaning, visual, syntax) After you are done marking down how many errors and self corrections the child made, it automatically calculates their accuracy percentage and how hard the text is for them. It also allows you to write in some extra comments and a statement about their fluency or choose a number from the fluency rubric.

Here is one that I filled in to show you how it works.

photo 1 (6)

When you are finished, you can save them right in the app. Another option is to send it to Evernote! When you create an account with Evernote, you get an email with them as well. It’s a pretty long and wordy email address but I just added it into my contacts on my Ipad under Evernote. Right from the Record of Reading App, it gives you the option to email the Running Record. I click on my Evernote email address to send it to and it zips it right over there! Another awesome feature is in the subject line at the end, if you put @ and then the name of the notebook in Evernote it will send it right to that notebook!! So I did a running record on John…I type @john at the end of the subject line and and when I open up Evernote it will be sitting in Johns Assessment Folder!

photo 2 (6)

And there it is! When I open it up, the Running Record is there and I can add notes about comprehension under the RR right in the note.

photo 3 (5)

I am hoping to use this app right from the beginning of the year!

Go find it in the app store and check it out!

bloglovin button

8 comments:

  1. Om my goodness! I read your post, got the app, have had a play and I am in love with it. Thanks so much for this. I have had an app that scores but have been waiting for some clever person to do this - can't believe it is free
    Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you can use it! I know and free ! Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! This is amazing! Thank you for sharing. I'm our district reading director this year, and I'll be teaching three different grade levels reading - so this is absolutely wonderful! Thank you for sharing!! :)
    ~HoJo~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Glad it made sense! I felt I was rambling near the end! I hope it goes well! I'm going to try and use it for all my running records this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. I'm so excited to start using it this year. Now to figure out a way to get an iPad...grrr.

    Kimberley
    1stinmaine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know. We were super lucky and our principal got every teacher an iPad at the end of last year. And I have my own! So now I have1 for me to assess and document and 1 for the kids to use,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know of any ways to do this but with the text from the book included? I find the context of the errors super useful, which you have in the recording but I find it more difficult without the words t

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I don't. That would be ideal though. I know I love having the words there as well. When I go back to score the MSV.. I have the book with me but you are right. It does take a bit of time.

      Would love an app whrer you could add in your own text and create like templates.

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover