Monday, 5 August 2013

Monday Made It

I am linking up again with Tara over at 4th Grade Frolics for her Monday Made It Linky.
made it
This week I am sharing a DIY Light Table and some DIY Ten Frames!

Light Table
I’ve wanted to make a light table for a while now and thought it would be a great choice for my kids during explorations, art and maybe during D5 word work. The kids can trace on it and explore with different transparencies. The lid on the bin was already opaque but I might spray paint the inside on the bin opaque too. I added 2 touch lights inside that can be turned on and off when needed. Here’s what it looks like with a few foam pieces I had on it.
photo 4 (29)photo 5 (24)
The bin also has wheels on it so I can roll it away when it’s not needed.

Ten Frames
Egg Cartons are a great material to use for ten frames. They have the perfect size cups for little manipulatives and the kids can actually move pieces from 1 cup to another and see how numbers change and the look of the ten frame changes.
I like the clear Egg Cartons but the cardboard ones work great as well! Start stocking up! I have about 20 Clear Ten Frame Cups in my room and are always collecting more. They are great for whole group, small group and independent activities.

Step 1: Eat some eggs.

photo 1 (47)
Each container gives me 2 ten frame cups as there is a bottom and a top cover for the eggs.

photo 2 (48)

Step 2: Pull apart the 2 lengths of cups.

photo 3 (38)

Step 3: Since there are 12 spaces for eggs you will need to cut off 2 cups to make a ten frame.

photo 1 (46)

Step 4: Use small manipulatives to show numbers on the ten frame! Later on my kids use them for adding. It helps to see the pieces moving over to make a full ten when adding 9 + 4 for example. You move over 1 penny to make a full ten and now you should see and think 10 + 3 which is easier to add.

photo 2 (47)

Simple, easy but effective!

Thanks for stopping by! Go eat some eggs!!

Follow me on Bloglovin!

12 comments:

  1. I just started saving those egg cartons! I think that's such a cool idea.
    Love your light table, too! I've never seen one of those.
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara . Now to find some thingies to go on it .

      Delete
  2. The light table looks so easy, I really have no excuse! Friends who have made them have line the inside of the bin with tin foil to focus the light to the lid.

    sandi
    rubberboots and elf shoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Sandi ! I'll have to try tinfoil !

      Delete
  3. Renee, Great idea! I used to use the egg cartons for introducing multiplication at the end of grade 2 - so many groups of... Egg cartons are great!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how easy it is to make your light table! I am going to have to try this out at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great for little ones !

      Delete
  5. I LOVE the light table idea! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - that light table is really cool!

    I've used egg cartons for ten frames, too.

    Jane
    Learning in the Little Apple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ! I just recently started using they egg cartons ...why didn't I collect them before ?

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover