Monday, 22 July 2013

Monday Made It

I am linking up with Tara over at 4th Grade Frolics for her Monday Made It.

I saw this pin on Pinterest for word building. Which was awesome because I do this all the time already with my kids! We use Elkonin boxes or sound boxes as I call them every day! I use them whole group during our Morning Meeting for a quick assessment and also during my guided reading groups.

I have kids start with a vowel in the middle and then I call out changes for them to make:
Make the word rat.
Change 1 letter and turn rat into hat.
Change 1 letter to turn hat into hot.
Etc,etc.

Click on the pic to head over to Make, Take, Teach and get some word building lists and a mat!
words
I
 have my kids use the sound boxes with magnetic letters and with dry erase markers. I never had letter tiles to use until now! I have the plastic squares she mentions using but decided I didn’t want to write on them. Soo..I decided to use what I used for making my kids math bag counters. Foam Squares! Super easy to cut and make!

I buy these foam sheets from the Dollar Store for math counters and now word tiles!
photo 3 (36)

I then measure and mark out 1 inch squares. They fit perfectly on these sheets.

photo 4 (27)

I use a sharpie to write letters on the tiles. I like to make vowels 1 colour and consonants another. I decided to make 6 of each letter for each tray. Once written, let dry a few seconds and cut out!

photo 5 (22)

I usually use small clear trays that hold beads for my other letter tiles but couldn’t find them anymore. I did find these colourful ones at another dollar store. I like to label each compartment with the letter so that kids know where to put each tile back. It helps with organization and kids aren’t spending their time searching for a letter when they should be working. Some compartments have 2 letters.

photo 2 (44)

Finished Tiles! Each box will hold enough tiles for 3 kids to find the letters they need to build with during whole group. During small group, everyone will get their own box.

photo (85)

Cheap and easy!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Renee! This is an awesome idea for creating letter tiles! Thanks for sharing! Also, your blog background rules! Looking forward to reading more! Have a good one.
    Teaching 3rd with Mr G

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I have some foam sheets that I have been saving. I didn't know what I was going to do with them but I didn't want to just throw them away. You gave me a great project. Thanks for sharing your idea.
    Tammy

    Mrs. Flickinger's Butterfly Oasis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tammy
      Yay! I use foam sheets and foam shapes for tons of activities in my room!

      Delete
  3. That's a great idea! I love doing making words with my kids and that's a great way to make easy letters to use!

    My Kinder-Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal! I have scrabble letters and lots of letter tiles for word work but thought these would easy enough to make for whole group!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE this idea! I think I might have to do that! :) I am your newest follower!

    -Allison
    Adventures in Room 204

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Renee,
    This is a great idea! How well do the foam tiles hold up during the year? Do you find that you need to make a new set for the next school year?
    Thanks,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They hold up great! I've used them as math counters for my kids for 3 years now and only have had to replace a few that went missing. We do thought practice and model how to take care of them.

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover