Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Jasper Johns Art and a Number Line!

This week we learned about the artist Jasper Johns. We looked at some of his famous paintings and had discussions around what we noticed when we looked at his different pieces. We also talked about his style of art making.

jj
jj2
jj1

We took his painting “Colored Alphabet” and recreated our own in the style of Jasper Johns.

photo 5 (10)
photo 2 (15)photo 3 (13)photo 5 (9)photo 3 (12)photo 3 (14)photo 1 (17)photo 2 (17)


Number Lines!
I also mentioned a little while ago that my kids are having a hard time with backwards counting. Like jumping around to numbers not even close when counting backwards.

I tried some backwards counting sheep. NO luck.

I also realized that I only have a number line to 20 displayed in my room. We use a hundreds chart lots and sort numbers etc…but my kids use the visuals on our walls tons so I thought it would be a good idea to get a number line up on the walls that goes to 100 so they could visually see the numbers going forwards and backwards.
In comes yesterday evening…..

photo 1 (16)
Teachers…..don’t let teachers drink and laminate!
 
Just kidding I was fine. 
 
I printed them in black and white on bright coloured cardstock!
 
I hate printing in colour because:
1. Wastes Ink
2. I like the coloured cardstock and paper better
and
3. If I DO want colour at school…..the new printers yell at me!
Here is what comes up on my screen when I print in colour:
“This page costs $0.26 cents. Are you sure you want to print in colour?  You could save money be switching to gray scale. Do you want to switch  to gray scale?
 
NO!! You mean printer!!! Making me feel bad about 1 colour page!!
 
Sheesh…
 
But here they are!
photo (78)
 
I used 5 different colours and each group of 10 numbers is a new colour.  I thought this might help my kids to notice the numbers when transitioning between decades. I also used a different animal for each decade. Maybe now we won’t be counting 84, 83, 82, 81, 80, 89, 75, 63, . Who knows!
 
Now just to find a place where I can post them in a long line and they are not too high or too low to be used!
 
Want your own cute animal number line to 100??
Click {HERE} to download the number line to 100 at my TPT store for free.

 

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Jasper Johns art. That's a very cool idea, Renee.
    Counting backwards is REALLY hard for my kids, too. It's in our grade 1 curriculum but I think most kids don't really "get it" 'til Grade 2. Thanks for the freebie!
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Barbara!
      My kids are expected to count backwards from 100 between any starting point! It is soooo hard for them to visualize those numbers!

      Delete
  2. Where did you get your laminator, and what kind is it? I am looking for one to have at home. Love the Jasper Johns art, I did it this year but with numbers! Thanks for the freebie!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laurie

      I got my laminator from Walmart actually! It was around $45...I've seen others there for $35 too! Hmmm..I can't think of the kind though....My Walmart only has 2 brands..the one I got and then a Scotch brand.

      Oo I would to see pics of how you did it with numbers! I kind of made up the directions...haha

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover