Monday, 13 May 2013

math game

A friend had asked how to play the game “Cross the River” that I posted on my 5 for Friday post.

I thought I had the game to share with you guys on my computer but I can’t find it! I made it years ago before I knew anything about making stuff…lol knowing me, I named it something silly and cannot locate it! I’ll look for it and post it as a freebie when I do!

Here are the instructions though….

photo (79)

This is a subtraction game.

Materials: 1 Game board, 2 dice, each person needs 10 counters. (beans, chips, etc)

Directions: Each player sits on either side of the game board. You take your 10 game pieces and place them behind any numbers on your side. There will be 2 numbers without chips behind them. When it’s your turn, roll both dice and create a subtraction number sentence with them. EX: I roll a 5 and a 3…I say 5-3 = 2. If I have a chip behind number 2….I get to send it across the river onto their side. Take turns going back and forth dolling the dice and creating number sentences. The first person to get all their chips across the river wins!

Note: If you have a number sentence and you have no chip behind it…you lose your turn. I also have my kids record the number sentences that they roll.

As for the Freebie…..we have been working hard on getting ready for grade 2. Every year in September, our division does something called “Strong Beginnings” in math where we asses students on various math skills. At the end of the year we assess kids on the next grades “Strong Beginnings” to see if they are ready. So right now I am doing “Strong Endings” and assessing my kids based on the grade 2’s beginning of the year math assessment.

Long story short….we are working hard to fill in the gaps before the end of June!
One thing I have been doing lots of this year is balancing equations. My kids are awesome at this but could still use some help balancing when there are number sentences on either side of the equal sign.

Here is a page I am leaving for my sub this Friday.

 Balancing Number Sentences: True or False.

Simply cut off the bottom….and then cut out each number sentence. Solve and then sort and glue! I have also added a sort that you can do whole group as practice before heading off. (or in small group)

photo 1 (19)photo 2 (19)

Email me for a copy.


43 comments:

  1. That was me:)) Thank you SO much for posting the instructions. We're going to play that on Thursday. I know my kids will love it.
    Thanks for the other freebie;)
    Barb@GradeONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great freebie! I'm featuring this post on Bagels and Blogs Sunday. :)

    Donna
    Math Coach’s Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks Donna! I love the Bagels and Blogs posts!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much! Going to use this next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a question about Cross the River: Once you send your piece across the river, does it stay there, or can the other person send it back?
    Thanks for a great freebie!

    Barb
    bmaguilar at gbaps dot org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just play where you have to stay on the other side once you cross as the goal is to get all your pieces across the river. You could also change it up and have where they are able to travel back!

      Delete
  5. Where can I download the game board for Cross the River? I don't see a link for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Anna,

      If you go to the top......the link is posted on my Freebies page!

      Delete
  6. Hello, Can I please get a copy of the true or false activity? I would love to use that in my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bethany

      send me an email @reneesaintlaurent@hotmail.com

      Delete
  7. Would love a copy of your true/false activity. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love a copy of your true and false activity. Thanks !!
    Sharon.boyd@cps.k12.ar.us

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Activity. Would love to have a copy of your true and false activity. Thanks for sharing.
    mallorytracy@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please send me a copy of this worksheet, it is exactly what I was looking for.
    alma.ochoa@desertsands.us

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you please e-mail me a copy of this worksheet! My kids would really benefit from this! mindygreenstone@yahoo.com

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could you please email me a copy. My kids would love this. Thanks! Andrea_House@dpsk12.org

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just asked you to email me a copy of the True /False activity, but forgot to give you my email address! It's been a long week, lol! lisaashmore9@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd also love a copy of
    Balancing Number Sentences: True or False.
    scontreras915@gmail.com
    THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love a copy of the balancing number sentence: true or false
    kasey.cogdill@eastprairie.org

    ReplyDelete
  16. I, too, would love a copy of your Balancing Number Sentences. Cut and paste worksheets are the Best! Thank you much!!
    karen.roahrig@woodford.kyschools.us

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your True/False number sentence worksheet. I would appreciate a copy: tori.johnson@byron.k12.mn.us

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Renee,
    I would love a copy of your true and false balanced equations sort. I have used it in the past and my students love to race and see how fast they can sort them. Thanks,
    Amy akimmes@ecasd.us

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love a copy of the balancing equations sheet! brante@dcpsmd.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can I please have a copy of True and False Math activity?
      ssmith@stpaullakeland.org
      THANKS

      Delete
    2. Hi there if you have received the true or false Math activity may I also have a copy? I can't figure out how to blog on here :( Thank you so much!

      -Laura
      lherrera@rvaschools.net

      Delete
    3. Would love a copy of your true and false activity!
      -Jody

      jody.clark@k12.sd.us

      Delete
  21. I would love a copy of your balance equations worksheet. I can not find your email on this site. Help!!

    Ashley Grant
    agrant@rvaschools.net

    ReplyDelete
  22. How do I download the balanced number sentence game?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing your contents. I would like a copy of the true/false activity.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello,
    I would love a copy of the balancing number activity. My email is Jgay109@gmail.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. Would love to have a copy of your true/false activity please and thanks
    lawrecyl@nbed.nb.ca

    ReplyDelete
  26. i would also love a copy of true or false activity please!
    vktorie@hotmail.com
    Thanks loads x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Could I get a copy please. This looks like a great tool for my sub tool box. candymoore80@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love a copy of the true or false activity please.
    I think this would be great for my class.
    jodi.bammer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would also love a copy of your balanced equations lesson :)

    stei0230@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would love a copy of the true/false or equation lesson. What a fun activity!

    edie.mcdonnel@ftcsc.k12.in.us

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would love a copy of your true/false equation lesson. My students would love this!

    jennifer.wright@hsv-k12.org

    ReplyDelete
  32. Renee. I would love a copy of the balancing equation sheet!! Thanks, Diane
    Dpolaughlin@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Renee,
    I would love a copy of your balancing equations sheet and flash cards
    kaitdavis91@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi! I would love, love, love a copy of the T/F equations. Please!
    osakac50@gmail.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover