Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Describing Words

I’ve had a hard time blogging lately. You would think because it is April 9th, the Spring weather might be beckoning me outside. Nope. It was –27 this morning!! (celsius) I am so sick of snow!

Instead I have been catching up on The Americans, The Walking Dead, The Voice and just getting things ready for Conferences.

Here is an activity that I am planning to send home later this week. In Science, we have been learning about Characteristics of Objects and Materials. We have been sorting different collections of items and working on using describing words to show the characteristics of objects.

This activity is called “What is it?” Catchy title I know….

Students will be taking this home as a weekend project. They have to choose 1 object to fit inside the brown paper bag. They then have to write 3 sentences describing the object in the bag. We have been talking about characteristics related to texture, colour, shape, size and sound.

They will then bring their object back….read out the sentences and have the class guess what is in the bag!

I printed 2 on a page so that it would be small enough to staple to the front of a brown paper lunch bag. I stapled the criteria on the back of the bag and then slipped an instruction page inside the bag.

photo 1
 
Front of the bag
 
photo 2
 
Back of the bag
 
photo 3
 
This will go inside the bag
 



3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a nice idea!

    I've missed your daily updates, they are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks so much! Your comment made my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya, Renee! No more snow! We couldn't believe how cold it was yesterday morning. We almost had indoor recess in April! Bleh.

    Is it bad that I skipped Characteristics of Objects and Materials this year? Haha. Shhh... don't tell the curriculum police ;) That looks like a fun activity though! I'll save it for next time! If there is a next time... lol

    Amanda
    First Grade Garden

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover