Monday, 21 January 2013

Ideas and tips for Math Daily 5!

So I have been neglecting my blog lately. It’s hard to get back into it after Winter Break. We are in a cold spell right now. This morning it was  –41 with the windchill!! (celsius people) Still we went to school! It’s been this kind of weather for the past 2 weeks.

So here are some tips and ideas for you to incorporate into your math program this cold winter season! Whether it be Daily 5 math, math stations or whatever!
I love to make number puzzles. I buy the foam cut outs from the dollar store and make puzzles based on what we are working on. Super cheap and easy. Tip: Make sure you write on them with a permanent marker (Ex Sharpie) I didn’t on one of the first ones I ever made and every time a kid used it they came back with smudgy black hands. No fun.

Here’s an example of my latest one:
IMG_0284IMG_0285IMG_0287
The great thing about them is you can cut them into however many pieces you want to differentiate the difficulty!

Another tip which I discovered myself this year after trial and error has to do with decks of playing cards. All my kiddos have their own deck of playing cards in their math tool bag. They take them out when they still have time left in Math Daily 5 but are done a job.

My kids last year were awesome with them and took excellent care of them. With that being said..I would still find random cards on the carpet from kids who forgot to pick them all up. GRR. It would take 15 minutes to figure out who was sitting there and who this card might belong to. Fast forward to this year and the new crew who are constantly forgetting supplies.

In comes labelling! I had all my kids first sort their cards and make sure they had every card in their deck. I then gave everyone a sharpie and a certain letter of the alphabet. They wrote that letter in their neatest grade one printing on the back of every card in their deck. Voila!

IMG_0292IMG_0293

Now if I find a card lying on the carpet, I check the letter and call it out!  The turkey who forgot it runs over and I give them my spiel about taking care of materials, the math bag is a privilege, blah blah blah. Yay! Less stress on me. :)

6 comments:

  1. Love your math heart game. Thanks for sharing.

    Learning With Susie Q

    susieqsclass@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always look forward to your posts : ) Keep them coming!

    Kelli
    Tales From a Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Kelli! You are too kind!

      Delete
  3. Hey! You sound just like me ~ blah blah blah. Ha ha!
    I LOVE your foamy math puzzles. I'm going to get on that this weekend.
    Thanks!
    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers Blog Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...My kids are ending my sentences...lol

      I've made a ton of number puzzles out of the foam shapes! So cheap and easy to differentiate!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover