Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Building Stamina and Class Rules

Today was our 3rd day building stamina in Daily 5. We are up to 6 minutes, with a few "come back and let's try it again." I have a few barometer kiddos who are finding it hard to stay focused on their books and stop their eyes from wandering and checking out what everyone else is doing! Right now, they are building stamina near me as I watch from my guided reading table, trying to avoid eye contact with them. Haha.

Here are a few of our reading buddies and cushions this year. We are learning to use these as "Reading Friends" and not toys.

September 12th, 2012 004

We also worked on our class rules today. Yesterday we did a “Hopes and Dreams” activity from Responsive Classroom. It is to get kids thinking about what they want to do in grade 1 and what they want to become better at. What is their hope and dream for grade one? My hope and dream for grade one was to help my kids become independent. My kids had hopes and dreams about helping to teach other kids new things, becoming better readers, learning all the letters, etc.

We then used our Hopes and Dreams to lead into class rules. Our question was:

“ What are some rules we will need to follow if we are going to to be able to enjoy doing the things we thought of in our hopes and dreams?”

We read David Goes to School and then brainstormed ideas. I wrote down every idea we thought of and then we narrowed our class rules down into 3 overall class rules that encompass everything.

September 12th, 2012 033

We also did a super cute drawing of David that I found on Pinterest from Forever in First. It was a directed drawing and some got it a little more than others.

September 12th, 2012 030

Here are some close ups!

September 12th, 2012 031September 12th, 2012 032

4 comments:

  1. I love your reading buddies! I will come read my book "The Music Teacher From the Black Lagoon" to them one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the process you used to create your class rules. I am going to file this idea for future use. Your final rules are wonderful! They are respectful and simple. I think your students are very lucky to be in your class.

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara! I love these rules becasue they encompass every rule you might need!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover