Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Daily 5 Choice

Hello Again!

Only 2 more days left of school!

Our chia pets are out of control!


<-----DAY 1 



----->
 DAY 10





So I've seen lots of posts about people starting to read the Daily 5 book and implement it in their classroom. This is my third year doing Daily and I love it! I structure my whole morning around it and we do 2 or 3 rounds every day. I start it the first week of school and we do it until the very last day of school. I have 2 days left and my kids are still doing Daily 5! My kids are so INDEPENDENT. It's crazy. I could seriously not get a sub some days and I'm sure they would be fine. They pretty much run it all.

 My kids come in when the bell rings, drop off their black folders ( home reading/notes folder) and then get started on their morning jobs. They have 3 jobs that they do every morning.

1. Answer Question of the Day
2. Work the Morning Message
3. Make your choices for Daily 5

My kids get to choose every morning what they work on. I keep track on my clipboard and then make suggestions nearing the end of the week based on what they haven't got to enough or yet.  Seriously, this is one of the most important pieces of Daily 5. The kids CHOOSE what they want to work on. They helps create independent learners who are accountable for their own learning.

 I put up Meet with Teacher cards for kids who are coming to my guided reading table during a round. Other times I don't put up any and I do individual conferences. I put numbers on a few of the choices in order to limit the amount of kids that can go there. For example, there are 3 Listen to Reading cards that have a number 1 on it. This means 3 kids can choose it for Round 1. Same thing for Round 2, 3 cards that have a number 2 on it and so forth. I put numbers on Word Work and Read to Someone too. Choices like Read to Self and Work on Writing are unlimited.

Down the left side column is my kids names


Numbers in the corners of the cards to limit the number of kids

Buckets which hold the velcro pieces for choices
Check out my Classroom Pictures page to see my new updated pieces for Daily 5 and Math Daily 5.

Kids do this in the morning and then its all ready and done for all 3 rounds by the time we get to Daily 5. I just have to call kids out.  If I put up a Meet with Teacher Card under one of the rounds, then my kids don't make a choice for that round.

Here is the check in sheet I use to record my kids choices each day. The R's stand for round. My kids names would be down the left column. I use my legend at the bottom and record a R for Read to Self, WW for Word Work etc.


I will post more on Daily 5 tomorrow!

Thanks for Reading!

5 comments:

  1. I would love to grab that form...would you mind sharing it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim

    For Sure!

    The font I used is Doodle Basic from lettering delights. I will post it in both a PDF and word document, but the font might look funny in hte word document if you font have it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again...starting to feel like a stalker -- ha ha.
    What is "work the morning message"?
    And exactly how are the kids making their morning choices? Do they move your cards into their rounds themselves (except for Meet the Teacher)?
    Do you still have time to teach a full writing program?
    Thanks for answering ... I want to change things up a bit so that my kids are also more independent.

    Beleyne@gmail.com. (do you mind emailing me your answers :)

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful
    Ruby Slippers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am your newest follower! I am trying to get together Daily 5 things to get this started in my classroom this coming school year! Your recording form is the BEST I've seen yet! Thank you for sharing. Come by and visit my blog when you get a chance!

    Megan
    http://teachingwithpencilsandpolkadots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan!! I appreciate that! Ill stop by!!

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover